Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Food For Thought



So, I have a couple things I want to touch on today.  The first is somewhat random, but I’m sure that surprises no one at this point.  I’d like to discuss a little supermarket etiquette, as I see it.

See, for all her faults, my mother did have a knack for being both efficient and considerate to other people in public.  She would get really pissy when people’s stupidity got in the way of her getting shit done, so she made sure she never got in anyone else’s way by being stupid.  Here are a few simple techniques she taught me (without meaning to):

One…the average supermarket aisle is wide enough for two carts, side-by-side, with just a little bit left over.  So treat it like a two-lane blacktop road; each ‘lane’ going one direction.  Don’t be a dick and park the cart right in the middle, or at an angle.   Or stand beside your cart, thereby blocking the entire aisle.  If the particular brand of ketchup you’re looking for really DOES warrant ten goddamn minutes of soul-searching, kindly stand behind your cart to do it.  That way, those of us that know what we’re looking for can actually GET to it.

Two…I can’t believe that people need to be told this, but apparently they do. 

LOOK WHERE YOU’RE GOING.

Seriously.  It’s not rocket science.  And in the occasional case that you DO space out, and almost run into me because you’re not paying attention, do NOT glare at me like it’s my goddamn fault.  I don’t care how old you are! Jesus Christ.  I should legally be allowed to punch people like that. 

Three…control your kids.  Yeah, I know.  It’s hard.  You’re trying to grab shit, answer their questions, and keep an eye on them.  I feel ya.  And I’ll accept a little rambunctiousness from kids.  I mean, they’re kids.  But c’mon…at least try to LOOK like you’re making an effort.  I’m not saying to beat their ass in the store like MY mom did, but do SOMETHING.  ANYTHING.  It’s not our fault you have screaming hell spawn, why do we have to suffer?

Ok, that’s it.  See?  I’m not unreasonable.

Now onto a different topic.  I recently picked up Blockade Billy, by Stephen King.  It’s a story he wrote in 2010, and the volume I grabbed also had Morality, another short story of his. 

Just to warn you, there will be spoilers here.

Now, I’m not such a screaming fanboy of King’s that I think he’s never dropped the ball.  I mean, putting himself into the Dark Tower series as a character?  Dude, wtf?  It didn’t totally kill the series for me, but it was close.  Thank God he had the sense and decency to keep his character’s role relatively minor. 

I think Blockade Billy and Morality are further examples of times that he got it wrong.  Blockade Billy’s premise is effective enough, and it displays the same attention to dialogue and character that make me a fan.  He just knows how to make his characters believable.  It’s like you almost want to go, “Hey, yeah, I know that guy!  He was the butcher in the town I grew up in!” or whatever.  I don’t quite have King’s love of baseball so I probably missed out on some of the feel he was going for. 

Where I feel he got it wrong was how he revealed the twist.  It was pretty flat.  Imagine if you read 2/3 of Carrie, and then someone told you, “Then she went apeshit and killed them with her mind before dying herself.”  It felt kind of like that.  There was no real build-up, and it left the twist a bit unsatisfying to me.

Morality, to me, was even worse.  The upshot goes like this:  A young, loving couple is struggling with finances.  The wife is working as a nurse for a rich, elderly man who has lived a life free of sin.  I call bullshit on that, but whatever.  Before he dies, he wants to experience sin ‘by proxy’, so he offers the wife and her husband $200,000 to commit a sin on his behalf and videotape it for him.

They eventually agree.  The sin in question is that the wife will disguise herself, walk up to a young child in the park, and punch him in the face.  They do so, get the money, and are never caught.   However, they don’t get off scot-free.  The wife starts to change, cheating on her husband and wanting to be beaten during sex.  Their marriage falls apart, and they divorce.  Naturally, she gets all the money and the house, and at the end, seems pretty content with herself.  Typical.

I have a number of objections here.  First, I find it hard to believe that one act could totally devastate and change the perpetrator forever.  People are very good at rationalizing things away.  Second, while the wife’s character changes, she still ends the story having been rewarded for what she did.  King’s usually more apt to make sure that bad karma comes back to get his villains in the end.  It’s not as if he HAS to do that, I just would have enjoyed it more if he had.  

I don’t know what message he was going for here, but if I had to hazard a guess, it’s that anyone’s morality is negotiable.  I don’t know if I’d have done what the characters did or not.  Right now, in the warm light of the sun, I would say no.  But if I was staring at $200K in cash, would I be so moral?  If I knew I’d never get caught, would I do it?  I don’t know.

How about you?