Monday, March 14, 2011

Sunday, 3-13-11

Something happened last night that was sort of interesting, though brief.  I’ll get to that in a moment.  Prior to that, though, I got Composer out to knock out another ITF.  There was a speed ITF advertised, but I knew I’d get him to 39 anyway.  I even entertained dreams of him getting all the way to 40 on this one.   First mission, nothing to really speak of.  We fumbled through it, but not that badly.  Sometimes it takes time for a PuG team to hit their stride.   The second mission went smoother still, which was nice, considering that it’s really the most aggravating mish in the whole TF.  I hit 39 about 1/3 of the way into it, and started thinking 40 wasn’t too farfetched a goal.  At the very least, I’d get about halfway there.
Then someone quit.  He didn’t lose conn. He just quit.  No ‘damn, IRL emergency, gtg’, no ‘omfg you guys sux, lrn2play noobs, I’m leaving!’ Just quit.  Fine, no big loss, sure he was a fire/kin corruptor, but he kept dying anyway.  No huge loss.  Right?  Wrong.  Our def decides, “oh hell we can’t do this w/o this guy, this is a bust.”  And quits.  Then another guy says, “Guess this isn’t happening.” And quits.  WTF??  At that point, I think we all looked at who was left, and said, “Yeah, NOW it’s a bust.”  I mean, we had a decent makeup, but we just didn’t really have the numbers to do it without it being a huge pain in the ass.  Composer would’ve had to have been damage, healer, AND debuff.  With the lag I was having, I didn’t see me pulling it off.
Public Service Announcement:  Guys, RL takes precedence.  If you have an emergency or something urgent IRL, I’m not going to hate on you if you quit a TF.  Things happen.  I’ve had to do it myself.  But at least have the consideration to SAY something.  Is that too much to ask?  I don’t think so.  And remember, no one toon is going to make or break a TF all by themselves.  They can contribute greatly, sure.  But losing one guy is not cause to just throw in the towel, especially on an ITF.  It’s not that damn hard a TF.  It’s actually relatively easy.
 Unless Raina’s leading, and you actually do what she says.  Then, you need to block off about 5 hours.  Don’t get me started.
Moving on to last night’s main event…..
In a world saturated with heroes, vigilantes, rogues, and villains of every imaginable background and persuasion (and some unimaginable), every once in a while one comes along that stands out.  One that makes even the most jaded individual say, “Whoa, that’s different!”
Evidently, Scarlet Heretic is NOT one of those.  :D
Andy AIM’d me after I got off the ITF, asking what I was up to.  At that point, I didn’t feel up to doing any more mishing, so I figured I’d end up in the D.  For a change, though, I decided to pull Erik out and bounce him off Andy & Co in RP, and see how it went, since I want to play him more often.  He bumped into Piper at the lower blue side bar, and did a little light flirting with her.   Hanshou and Roulette were nearby, but Hanshou left and Roulette came over. 
Real quick: Roulette looks MAD hot with black hair.  That is all. :D
She said Erik was cute, which surprised me, frankly.   Nakashima showed up and was kind of grumpy, but Erik largely ignored him.  Then Trooper Harris showed up.
Ok, going to dwell on this a bit.  As much as I hear about P and all her old friends, and her history and whatnot…it’s nice to see someone there that I know from way back.  Harris was a member of the VoPC at the time Jack joined, and when he left them, Harris was an occasional enemy.  A tough one, too.  After a while, Harris went into business for himself, selling powered suits of armor.  Jack actually did business with him at the time that Kell was menacing Havens, ordering a special suit of armor that was resistant to Kell’s powers.   It’s good to see him still around, even if his plots are convoluted and byzantine.
Poor Roulette’s player was still not feeling well, so Roulette asked Erik to keep an eye out for Piper, since she’s naïve.  Erik was surprised that she’d trust him with her, but he’s a generally good guy for a thief, so he agreed.  Goldie showed up, and then a succubus called Farra Mone.  First off, bleh on the name.   I’m not a fan of succubi in the FIRST place, but the name just drives home the ‘look at me, I’m a demonic sex toy, don’t you wanna ERP with me right NAO???’ feel.  Her bio was cutesy, which in this context, made me gag even more. 
Now, I know they exist in game.  And if that’s what someone wants to play, it’s their $15 a month.  I guess technically she didn’t do anything ‘wrong’.  I got a little annoyed that she walked up and inserted herself in our group, doing her flirty succubi thing, so I decided to throw a curve ball into the mix, and have Loraan manifest.  See how she dealt with that.  Real quick, Erik stole a helmet from the Mu that housed the soul of an ancient Mu Guardian named Loraan.  When Erik first tried the helmet on, Loraan’s soul bound itself to him, and they occasionally struggle for control of Erik’s body.  I’m biased, but I thought that was a relatively interesting background.
Anyway, poof!  Loraan shows up, and is met with a resounding ‘meh’.  Piper asks what the deal is and Loraan says, “Erik is unavailable…I am known as Loraan…”  And Piper and Goldie start calling him ‘Lauren’.  :P
A better RPer might know how to salvage his dignity.  I am not that guy.  After a few, Loraan loses his grip, and Erik returns.  He briefly relates his story to the deafening sound of ‘huh’.  Goldie tells him, “Oh well, sucks to be you.”  Ascendant gets involved in some dramatic and goofy confrontation with some stereotypical villain whose name escapes me.  Everyone is riveted.  Erik makes his excuses and slinks off. 
He’s got an ‘in’ with Titan now, so I can bring him out occasionally if Brooklyn requests him.  And that’s all I really wanted, so yay!  However, it was a rude awakening.  Apparently, Erik’s just not that interesting.  I’ll need to re-evaluate him.
Afterwards, I got Tommy out to hang out with Mel and Goldie, but I was really tired, more than I thought.  So I had to beg off early.  Date night tonight is at the gym.  Mel wants to know how to box, and Tommy’s going to show her how it’s done.  Time to whip out my notes.  Jack taught Rusty how to box way back, feels funny to do it again.
In a way, last night showed me that I’ve moved on from the Havens era.  I’m keeping the good memories, and I’ll grumble about the bad ones, but life goes on.  And so do I.

No comments:

Post a Comment