Friday, March 18, 2011

Tommy Cortex: Bone Weary

I’d stared at the device for close to fifteen minutes, when Tony got back with dinner. I was trying to figure out how something that small could be a stealth field generator.  I mean, I had one of those in my armor, but that thing was huge compared to this gizmo.  Syntech might be a bunch of vindictive assholes, but they made some damn fine tech.  I wondered if Brooklyn would let me keep this, or if Piper could make one like it.
Tony dropped a paper sack on my desk, breaking my concentration.  I gave him a level look, and to the guy’s credit, he murmured an apology, “Sorry, boss.”  I grunted, and set the doohickey to the side, opening the sack.  “You get ‘em to put extra cheese on it this time, Calabrese?” 
“Yeah, Tommy, just like you said.”
“Good.” I took the sandwich out, and unwrapped it.  Chicken parmesan.  Venizzi’s was better, but they were closed at this hour.  I sighed.  I was tired, but I hadn’t eaten since breakfast, so I knew I’d better eat something now.  If Mel knew I’d missed lunch, she’d worry.  And I worried her enough.  I wondered if she was sleeping well tonight.  I’d have rather been with her, but this needed to be done.
It’d started out pretty smoothly.  I’d crept up on the first group of guards and ‘convinced’ them to shut down the security systems.  Problem is, the rooms with all the merchandise were on a different set of protocols, and none of the guards I’d ‘altered’ knew how to bypass them.  Damn paranoid Syntech security. What made it worse was there were a few automated security drones, which I can’t mind-fuck.  It got noisy.  Luckily, I was able to ‘convince’ some of the more heavily armored guards to back me up.  I got what I could, and got out, setting charges behind me.  It was a lot closer and messier than I like to work, but it’s still a check mark in the ‘win’ column, capice?
I started eating, but I scarcely tasted the sandwich, lost in thought.  After I pull a job, I tend to get fixated on replaying it in my head, analyzing details I didn’t consciously notice at the time.  Particularly when it was a tricky one like tonight.  Tony knows this, so he shuts the hell up, and lets me think.   He knows me, knows how I think…but not nearly as well as Mel does.  I wished she’d been with me.  However, she was right to worry.  If Brooklyn’s war went on long enough, Syntech would start going after anyone connected to us.  Best that Mel not draw any attention to herself.  She can take care of herself, but I’d rather she didn’t have to. 
 In my case, though, this wasn’t my first war.  People tend to think of the Family as dumb goombas, and in a lot of cases, they’re right.  What they always fail to see, though, is that we know how to go to war with someone.  Brooklyn was going about it well enough, I guess, though I really didn’t care so much about exposing them as much as crippling and destroying them.  That’s one thing about her.  For a merc, she’s got a strong sense of justice and propriety.  Fortunately for her, she was smart enough to know that the rest of cared more about a paycheck than justice. 
It wasn’t until I’d washed down the rest of the sandwich with my iced tea that I realized it hadn’t really been that good.  Tony had eaten in silence, and I guess the expression on my face was a dead giveaway, because he rumbled, “Sorry, boss.  You wanted chicken parm, and Frank’s is the only place in Martial that makes it this late.”
I sighed, “Yeah, yeah.  Next time, just get something from somewhere halfway decent, ‘kay?”
Tony nodded, “You need anything else, boss?  I want to get home so I can at least see Vince before he goes to school tomorrow.  They’re taking class pictures, and…”
“He still can’t manage to tie his own tie, I know, Tony.  Get outta here.  And don’t worry about it; Vince is a damn good-looking kid.  Must take after his mom.”  I smirked, and so did Tony, “Yeah, funny man.  Take care, Tommy.  Say hey to Mel for me.”
“Will do.  Ciao.”
Tony left, shutting the door behind him.  I got up from my desk, and went into the back room.  All my offices have a small apartment and shower in them.  Just in case.  I flopped onto the futon and switched on the TV.  Mel would probably be surprised that Tony sent his regards.  I had to call her tomorrow morning.  I stifled a yawn, my eyes drooping.  God, I was so tired.  I started listing off my to-do list mentally, but I had trouble concentrating.  Or even staying awake.
I had to start getting more sleep.
I had to start making plans for our working vacation.
I had to check in with Piper about that device she was working on for me.
I had to….


He had to get her someplace safe.  He held onto that thought. It was the one thing that made sense in a world of terrified screams, the smell of burning blood, and people running in every direction.  The thought spurred him on, helped him ignore the burning in his side.  He cradled her in his arms as he ran, her weight so light, so fragile.  She kept weeping for her mommy and big brother.  He’d saw them fall, blood pouring from their eyes, ears, nose.   His heart wanted to scream in grief, but it was a luxury Alexis and he didn’t have now.  He’d weep if they lived through this. 
He could barely see over the throng of screaming, terrified people.  What he did see gave him a burst of hope.  A hole in the fence.  If he could just get them to it, they could slip out and elude the Acolytes.  He ran on, towards the opening to an alley that seemed clear enough.  He could hear soldiers gaining on them; their cruel shockrifles searing the air, and filling his nose with the smell of ozone.   He’d covered maybe fifteen feet when he felt the searing pain in his back.  And again.  And again.  He fell onto his knees, dropping her.  He could smell burning flesh, and knew it was his.  He also knew his luck had run out.  But maybe not hers.
Her little hands clamped onto his wrist, and she screamed, trying so hard to drag him with her.  She was so tiny.  She’d have better luck stopping the sun from rising.  He dimly felt himself pitch forward onto his face.  He coughed, tasting the coppery tang of his own blood in his mouth.  Luckily, he could still talk.
“Go, Alexis!  Find an opening in the fence and get out of here!”
“no no no daddy please come with me I’m scared so scared please please…”
“Alexis!! You don’t have time for this! You have to go now!”
He paused, and then came the comforting lie.  He owed her any chance she could have at surviving this.  He knew he’d die soon, but she could still live. 
“Go on, honey!  I’ll be right behind you, promise!”
She wept, her huge, terrified eyes pleading.  But she found some courage somewhere and nodded, “I’ll go, Daddy…please hurry!”
Alexis turned and started to run, but the end of the alley was suddenly blocked by one of Them.  Oh, sweet God, no.  Not an Acolyte.  Oh please, no, not her, she’s so tiny, she couldn’t hurt you, please just let her go...
He barely acknowledged the guards stepping over him to pin Alexis between them.  Alexis looked up at the white haired, Acolyte with huge terrified eyes, too scared to even speak.  The Acolyte smiled.  If he could scream, he would have.  The Acolyte waved a hand negligently at the guards, who lowered their shockrifles. 
“Poor, sweet wayward child.   This is all a mistake. “She crouched, taking Alexis’s tiny hand in hers.  The light reflecting off the Acolyte’s white robe made her look angelic.  He knew that couldn’t be more of a lie. 
“You’re so very special, child.  You’re meant for more than this.  This has all been a big mistake.  Come.  Come with me, and all will be well.  You’ll be safe, and happy.”
Alexis’s face was a study in hope warring with terror, but the Acolyte’s next words sealed her fate.
“You and your father both.  You’ll both be taken care of, child.”
Alexis smiled and nodded, but he knew the words for a lie.  The blood in his mouth choked off his protest.  The Acolyte scooped Alexis up into a hug, and started walking towards them.  He tried to make his hand reach for them, but it wouldn’t.  Alexis tried to reach for him, but the Acolyte casually stepped over him, and out into the clearing.  He couldn’t see them anymore.  What he could see was the soldiers turning, and training their shockrifles on him.
Searing light, followed by cool darkness.  Oblivion.

No comments:

Post a Comment